Functional Medicine Fibromyalgia Treatment in Colorado Springs
Nearly 1 in 50 people suffer with fibromyalgia, a condition that causes pain and fatigue in the musculoskeletal system. Symptoms of fibromyalgia are often triggered after surgery, an infection, severe mental stress, or another physically traumatic event. However, sometimes there’s no clear trigger for fibromyalgia.
That’s where functional medicine comes into play. At True Life Medicine, we take the time to understand the root causes of your illness, make an accurate diagnosis, and provide effective treatment.
When it comes to assessing fibromyalgia, you may notice symptoms that include:
- Chronic bodily aches (on both sides of the body, above and below the waist)
- Memory problems
- Chronic fatigue despite getting enough sleep
- Sleep issues due to pain
- Restless legs
- Sleep apnea
- Mood issues
- Brain fog
- Tension headaches
Fibromyalgia may occur alongside other health conditions, such as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, anxiety, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), depression, painful bladder syndrome, and postural tachycardia syndrome.
Unfortunately, most doctors only prescribe medications and minor lifestyle changes to manage symptoms. This method still leaves you with high levels of pain and discomfort. But True Life Medicine takes a different approach.
Treating Fibromyalgia Treatment with Functional Medicine
Functional medicine views health—including fibromyalgia treatment—differently. Instead of focusing on managing the symptoms on the surface, functional medicine seeks to address the deeper causes behind a health issue.
A functional medicine doctor views you and your health situation uniquely. They’ll first get to know your health situation and build a strong relationship so that you feel comfortable and cared for by a doctor you trust. Functional medicine doctors start the treatment process by running tests and lab work to make sure that you have an accurate fibromyalgia diagnosis—or if you’re actually suffering from something else.
Functional medicine treatment varies depending on the individual, but functional medicine has several core aspects of care:
First, functional medicine doctors believe that, when fueled properly, the body is capable of healing itself. This means examining a patient’s diet and nutrition. First, are you eating the right grains, fruits, and vegetables? Second, is your body absorbing the vitamins you’re eating? Most people forget that their bodies might not be absorbing what they put into their bodies. This is called gut health.
Functional medicine doctors place a huge emphasis on gut health. The body’s gut microbiome controls every aspect of health, from the immune system to bowel function to mental health. Most of us have imbalanced or leaky gut bacteria, and a functional medicine doctor will address these issues and help restore the body’s natural gut alignment.
Inflammation is another common problem among fibromyalgia patients. Inflammation can be caused from a poor diet, allergies, environmental toxins, or genetic factors. A functional medicine doctor will help you identify and eliminate inflammatory triggers in a sustainable way.
Functional medicine doctors address other lifestyle and environmental factors that contribute to overall health: diet, exercise, genetics, stress, sleep, and environmental toxins. This may look like a nutrition plan, exercise recommendations, genetic testing, or mental health services.
Functional medicine has a high success and satisfaction rate among patients due to the complete, full-body approach to healthcare.
Root Causes of Fibromyalgia
There is no single cause of fibromyalgia, but functional medicine doctors have identified several possible root issues that result in chronic pain and fatigue experienced by fibromyalgia patients:
- Gluten intolerance
- Thyroid issues
- Adrenal fatigue
- Candida (yeast) overgrowth
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Mercury toxicity
- Glutathione deficiency
It’s often frustrating for patients to work to identify the cause behind their fibromyalgia symptoms. This is where functional medicine comes in: a doctor that’s built a strong relationship with you is here to guide and empower you through the process—not hand you another medication to take.
How to Work with Functional Medicine Doctors
True Life Medicine provides functional medicine services in Colorado Springs. Let’s walk through our unique approach to fibromyalgia treatment:
- Initial discovery call. This first call allows us to learn more about your health problems, goals, and unique story. You’ll walk away with more information about our practices and what kind of treatment we recommend for you.
- In-depth consultation. Next, we’ll schedule a meeting with Dr. Randolph James (MD, ABFM, IFMCP). He’ll go deeper into your health situation, such as examining genetic patterns or your current daily habits. He will identify your health markers, results that will help track your healing progress. Thus begins a thriving doctor-patient relationship!
- Custom health plan. After taking the time to get to know you and your basic health situation, we’ll dive deeper by conducting tests and running labs. This data helps us get solid information to determine health factors, such as bloodwork and hormone function. With this information, we’ll craft a comprehensive treatment plan that’s 100% unique to you.
- A lasting partnership. Working with True Life Medicine is unlike any other doctor experience you’ve probably had. We believe in building a true partnership with each patient that walks through our doors. Until you are truly thriving and feeling your best, you can expect us to walk alongside every step of your healthcare journey, providing professional insight, guidance, and support.
If you’re ready to work with True Life Medicine and get started on your path to a true, thriving life, don’t wait. Take the first step by scheduling a free discovery call. We can’t wait to get to know you and your unique health journey.